David Beckham, the retired soccer superstar, was honored with the first ever Legend Award at the Kid’s Choice Sports Awards show last night and promptly blasted with gallons of golden slime. His two sons, Romeo and Cruz shared in the honor… the slime part, that is.
Beckham, 39, who was joined by his sons on stage, is best known in the United States as a mid-fielder for the LA Galaxy, a professional soccer team that plays in Los Angeles.
He was an unusual selection for the award, given that most of his fame as a soccer player (or football, as it’s call there) is in Europe. He played for UK team Manchester United and Real Madrid, which plays in Spain.
The awards show drew a slew of celebrities and standouts in a range of sports to the UCLA Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles.
The honorees received some unusual honors, like the “Party Like a Sports Star” award for best on field celebration. New York Giant Victor Cruz picked up that one.
Kid’s Choice Sports Awards
- Best Male Athlete: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
- Best Female Athlete: Gabrielle Douglas, Olympic gymnast
- Party Like a Sports Star: Victor Cruz, New York Giants
- Favorite Newcomer: Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
- Favorite Catch: Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
- Best Save: Tim Howard, U.S. soccer team
- Clutch Player of the Year: Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
- Sickest Moves: Alex Morgan, Portland Thorns
- Don’t Try This at Home Award: Shaun White, Olympic snow boarder
- Smells Like Team Spirit: Seattle Seahawks Fans
- King of Swag: Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
- Queen of Swag: Gabrielle Douglas, Olympic gymnist
- Biggest Cannon: Serena Williams, tennis player
- Favorite Comeback Athlete: Bethany Hamilton, pro surfer
Other awards were given out for “Sickest Moves” (Alex Morgan, Portland Thorns), the “Smells Like Team Spirit” award (Seattle Seahawks Fans) and the “King of Swag” award (Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat). (see the full list)
But Beckham’s award had to be the hightlight of the night. (Is there an award for that?). After he was presented with his trophy by his sons, he gave a short speech.
“When I was young, my dream was to be a professional soccer player. If you have dreams and you believe in yourself, your dreams can come true. Thank you very much,” he said.
Then two slime cannons cut loose and the trio was doused in golden slime. The Kid’s Choice Awards, hosted by Nickelodeon, is known for slimming guest with green goo at its entertainment awards show.
Check out the video below. Do you think the Beckhams knew they were about to be slimed? And, be sure to follow TheImproper on Twitter for the latest celebrity news.