Gomez, 22, released the video to the moody ballad today (Nov. 6), which begins with her sobbing about a relationship.
She’s apparently talking to her BFF (Taylor Swift?) over the phone, or she’s crazy, because it’s a one-sided conversation. She seems to be pleading with someone who’s giving her advice, and defending someone else who has done her wrong.
“I know him, though, and I know his heart, and I know what he wouldn’t do to hurt me,” she says.
The consensus is the song is about Justin Bieber, her sleazy two-timing boyfriend, who generally uses her like a wet dishrag.
Justin apparently is also a smooth, manipulative talker, who knows how to turn the table on his vulnerable girlfriend.
“But I didn’t realize that I’m feeling so confident and feeling so great about myself, and then it just be completely shattered by one thing, by something so stupid,” she continues.
“But then you make me feel crazy. You make me feel like it’s my fault. I was in pain.”
Right girlfriend. Now listen up. Here are five things you need to hear about your relationship.
1. Grow Up: The emotions you are feeling amount to junior high school behavior. It was okay then because you were just beginning to feel those emotions and learning what they meant and how to control them. But you’re 22; you should know by now when someone is playing you.
2. Kick the Lost Puppy Syndrome: You’re kind, generous and have a big heart. When you see a lost puppy you want to pick it up and take it home. But people aren’t puppies. No matter how hard you try, you can’t change someone who is prone to bad behavior. Chances are he’s cruel and manipulative. He looks for people like you whom he can use and abuse. In the end, he changes you, into a poor sobbing excuse for yourself who is convinced everything is your fault.
3. When it’s wrong, cut your losses and move on: You know what you want out of a relationship. When he won’t give it to you, it’s time to cut your losses and move on, no matter what excuses he feeds you, or what you feel about him. If it doesn’t work now, it won’t work a year from now, or five years from now.
4. Stop being a drama queen: Drama is great in the movies, but in real life it’s addictive and can eat away at you. If you let drama constantly define you, you’ll eventually become a neurotic mess and your friends will get sick of you. Reduce the drama, eliminate the causes and soon you’ll find nirvana.
5. Understand the importance of respect: It’s the key to any lasting relationship. If he doesn’t respect who you are and what you want, that’s a big red flag. Stop accepting excuses; there are no excuses. Respect is either there or it isn’t. If you feel disrespected, get rid of the jerk.
6. Respect Yourself: If you don’t respect yourself, who will? Know who your are, what you want and don’t compromise, no matter what pitiful excuses he makes. If you constantly give in, you’re not respecting yourself and he won’t respect you either. And that’s the worst feeling in the world.
7. You don’t need him to validate you. If you need to win his approval or “love” to feel good about yourself, then you have a serious emotional problem, likely tied to a lack of self-esteem or an inferiority complex. In that case, you need professional help.
In the refrain of the song, Gomez sings, “There’s a million reasons why I should give you up, but the heart wants what it wants.” But is that what she really needs?
Check out the video below and let us know your thoughts, and be sure to follow IM on Twitter for the latest music news.