The fatal hit-and-run happened in Compton today (Jan. 29) following a promotional video shoot for upcoming biopic about the pioneering rap group NWA.
Knight reportedly pulled up to the scene in his car as the shoot was ending. He reportedly got into an argument with set security that led to a fight, according to sheriff’s and media reports.
Knight got into his car and threw it in reverse, striking a man identified as Terry Carter, a friend of Knight’s and another man identified as actor Cle “Bone” Sloan. Carter died and Sloan has non-life-threatening injuries.
A number of details remain unclear and an investigation is underway. Depending on the findings, Knight could face murder or manslaughter charges and a felony hit-and-run charge.
Knight’s criminal record and shady dealings are extensive, according to an Internet search.
In the most recent incident last August, he was one of several people shot outside L.A. club 10AK during a party hosted by R&B singer Chris Brown leading up to the MTV Video Music Awards. He was hit six times.
Knight was believed to be the intended target and has refused to cooperate with police.
His rap sheet goes back almost 30 years and includes:
- Oct. 29, 2014: He and comedian Katt Williams were arrested for roughing up a female photographer in Beverly Hills and allegedly taking her camera.
- Feb. 8, 2012: Knight was arrested in Las Vegas based on several warrants for prior traffic violations. He was charged with possession of marijuana and driving on a suspended license. He we was serving three-years probation for a prior suspended license violation.
- March, 2009: Knight was tied to the robbery of Akon producer, Noel “Detail” Fisher, allegedly to settle a debt. Five armed men broke into Fisher’s house and stole $170,000 worth of jewelry, a locked safe, stereo equipment and the key to a Mercedes.
- Aug. 27, 2008: Knight was arrested on drug and aggravated assault charges in Las Vegas. Police spotted him beating his girlfriend Melissa Isaac and brandishing a knife. Knight was cleared of charges after police were unable to contact Isaac.
- May 10, 2008: Knight was involved in an an argument over money outside of a nightclub in Hollywood that led to a fight. He was knocked out in the scuffle and taken to the hospital. He refused to cooperated with police.
- April 4, 2006, Knight put his label Death Row Records into bankruptcy following a lawsuit filed by Lydia Harris, who claimed Knight had cheated her out of a 50 percent stake in the label. Knight had been ordered to pay Harris $107 million as part of a previous judgment.
- Sept. 1996-March 1997: Knight is implicated in the murders of rapper Tupac Shakur (1996) and rapper Biggie Smalls (1997), aka Christopher Wallace. Despite theories and some eye-witness claims linking him to the crimes, he was never charged.
- October 1987: Knight was arrested for assaulting his then girlfriend and cutting off her ponytail in the street.
- Oct. 31, 1987: Knight was arrested in Las Vegas for auto theft, carrying a concealed weapon and attempted murder. He had allegedly shot a man three times while stealing his car. He plead guilty to a misdemeanor, and received two years probation.
Knight served almost five years of a nine-year jail sentence for violating various probations. He was jailed in March 1997, following a Las Vegas fight.
He was first place on probation in 1995 after entering “no-contest” pleas to two counts of assault involving a fight with two rappers in Hollywood.
He was also serving three years probation on federal charges for attempting to commit a drug-related offense and conspiracy. He spent a month in jail on that charge.
In the latest incident, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has issued an all-points bulletin to fellow officers to “be on the lookout” for Knight, who was described as a murder suspect and “armed and dangerous,” according to gossip site TMZ.
Knight is reportedly ready to turn himself in, his lawyer James Blatt told the site.
For the latest developments in the case, be sure to follow IM on Twitter.