Apparently, Noah, 31, needs a quick lesson in U.S. style political correctness.
His jokes about Jews seem particularly offensive. In one quip, he makes an oblique reference to the Holocaust.
“Almost bumped a Jewish kid crossing the road. He didn’t look b4 crossing but I still would have felt so bad in my german car!” he wrote back in 2009.
“South Africans know how to recycle like Israel knows how to be peaceful,” he joked in another Tweet.
His jokes about women are also under fire.
Trevor Noah’s Legacy of Sexism, Anti-Semitism
- Almost bumped a Jewish kid crossing the road. He didn’t look b4 crossing but I still would hav felt so bad in my german car!
- South Africans know how to recycle like israel knows how to be peaceful.
- Messi [soccer player] gets the ball and the real players try foul him, but Messi doesn’t go down easy, just like jewish chicks.
- Behind every successful Rap Billionaire is a double as rich Jewish man. #BeatsByDreidel
- England’s Manchester United football team is like a white girl: Heavy upfront but lacking in the back.
- I like women that don’t wear make up. For me they’re like pizza- still great the next morning!
- Oh yeah the weekend. People are gonna get drunk & think that I’m sexy!” – fat chicks everywhere.
- I’m watching Olympic women’s hockey. It’s like lesbian porn. Without the porn. #InLove
- A hot white woman with ass is like a unicorn. Even if you do see one, you’ll probably never get to ride it.
He said an English soccer team was like a white girl: “Heavy upfront but lacking in the back.”
Noah is well known internationally, and especially in his native South Africa. He is the son of black South African mother and a white Swiss father, a union that was frowned upon during apartheid in the African nation.
Despite his lack of sensitivity, he may be suited for the show because his humor is laced with social commentary, a point his defenders noted on Twitter.
But his comments have been unearthed at a time when anti-Semitism is on the rise in Europe. He published the quips between 2009 through last year.
Oddly, Comedy Central said in a statement that it chose Noah because of his “unique worldview and a deep understanding of human nature.”
Stewart is expected to step down later this year, although no specific date has been set.
The cable network has yet to comment on the blow up.
For the latest developments, be sure to follow IM on Twitter.