New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman issued a statement today (Oct. 3) announcing that the Donald J. Trump Foundation was ordered on Friday Sept. 28) to “cease and desist” from soliciting contributions in the state.
The organization has 15 days to file the mandatory paperwork.
Under state law, charitable organizations that solicit contributions in New York State must register with the state Charities Bureau and provide annual financial reports and annual audited financial statements.
The foundation has done neither yet continued to solicit contributions in the state earlier this year, the statement said.
“The failure to immediately to discontinue solicitations and to file information and reports… shall be deemed a continuing fraud upon the people of the state of New York,” the formal “Notice of Violation” reads.
Schneiderman is also suing Trump and his defunct Trump University for defrauding tens of thousands of dollars from students.
“It’s fraud. This is just straight-up fraud,” Schneiderman said about the University in an MSNBC interview. “It’s like selling people something you say is a Mercedes and it turns out to be a Volkswagen.”
Trump has denied the allegations and has clashed repeatedly with Schneiderman over the allegations. At one point, Trump sued the AG for malicious prosecution. But the suit was ruled meritless and thrown out of court.
Since 2010, the foundation has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to conservative political groups.
They Citizens United Foundation, the Iowa-based Family Leader Foundation and Liberty Central, the advocacy group led by Virginia Thomas, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, according to The HuffingtonPost.
Trump has also used charity proceeds to settle lawsuit claims against himself or his companies.
The Foundation, launched in 1987, raked in more than $12 million in contributions between 2001 and 2014. Less than a quarter of that came from Trump, who hasn’t made a contribution since the stock market crash in 2008, the Web site reported.