Hot Poppin' Culture News From New York City

Amy Winehouse Cause of Death Finally Revealed

amy-winehouseUK singer Amy Winehouse died from acute alcohol poisoning, with more than five times the legal limit to drive after apparently downing three bottles of vodka in her home.

The finding was the legal conclusion of a coroner’s report into her sudden death at 27. She hit the bottle after being dry for three weeks, which triggered the poisoning.

Winehouse had 416mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, compared with the legal limit for 80mg for driving an automobile. Alcohol can be fatal above a concentration of 350mg.

She was found in bed at her Camden home in north London on July 23.

Police said two bottles of vodka were large and one was small, according to London’s Daily Mail.

Acute alcohol poisoning is possible, even by a seasoned drinker like Winehouse, if the alcohol is consumed rapidly and all at once.

The alcohol in her system likely suppressed her breathing and sent her into a coma.

Winehouse was otherwise found to be in good health and she had no traces of illegal drugs in her system. She had been widely known to abuse alcohol and cocaine.

The “Back to Black” singer was reportedly taking medication to cope with alcohol withdrawal and anxiety and had been in treatment for her drinking.

The night before she died the 27-year-old said she did not know if she was going to stop drinking but “she did not want to die,” according to her doctor.

“She was looking forward to the future,” said the doctor

Winehouse’s tearful parents Mitch and Janis listened in the public gallery.

Andrew Morris, Winehouse’s live-in guard, said he heard the singer in her bedroom laughing, listening to music and watching television the night before she died, according to the Mail.

But when he checked on her the next day, at around 3pm, he discovered that she was not breathing. Winehouse was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

For more, check out London’s Daily Mail.

Subscribe To TheImproper's Email Newsletters, Free!